Pacheco Coto’s International Trade and Customs team understands that the world of International Trade is constantly changing. There are many national and international laws and regulations that must be followed and those very same statutes are continuously being modified. In addition, government negotiation and ratification of multilateral, regional or bilateral trade agreements also has significant impact on the rules governing international trade. For this reason, we believe that our clients must be well-prepared to face the natural dynamism of the industry and fully understand how companies involved in global trade may be affected.
In this scenario, our International Trade and Customs group assists clients to set up a successful and practical business, according to our client’s specific needs and objectives, in compliance with national and international regulations applicable to global commerce, in order to take advantage of lucrative opportunities and the benefits of engaging in international trade.
Our team will provide our clients exceptional support in order to make well-informed business decisions to protect their valuable assets, manage possible risks, and reduce or eliminate barriers to market access for goods and services under existing international trade agreements. Furthermore, our advice is aimed at taking better market-oriented decisions, to increase productivity.
Our attorneys advise on the complex customs procedures of Central America and have actively participated in international treaty drafting and treaty implementation. Moreover, they have held prestigious offices in Customs and Trade institutions of Switzerland and Central America. Among the services offered by the Division are:
• Trade Compliance
• Trade and Customs Procedures
• Customs Requirements and Preferential Regimes
• Advisory on the application of Preferential Treaties, Preferential Duties and Duty Exemptions
• Application of Quotas and Contingents
• Obstacles to Trade and Sanitary and Phitosanitary Measures (TBT and SPS)
• Market Intelligence (identifying competitors by product and market strategies and new markets)
• Risk Assessments
• Free Trade Zone compliance assessments
• Litigation before customs administration, Tax Ministry, tribunals, criminal offenses related to trade and customs matters
• WTO litigation with specific-industry impact and arbitral litigation
• Trade remedies, anti-dumping measures and countervailing duties
• Capacity building
Customs and Trade Litigation:
Our practice includes leading lawyers in trade and customs litigation that support our clients in the implementation of measures to ensure avoidance of entanglement in litigation disputes. If a dispute arises, our client will have sufficient resources to reach a prompt and successful resolution, thus avoiding large-scale litigation. If inevitable, the top litigation expertise and procedures are implemented.