Oswald A. Bruce E. , LL.M.Partner
Phone: +506 2505 0900
Languages: Spanish and English
San José, Costa Rica
Mr. Bruce has more than two decades of legal experience advising local, regional and international clients in the areas of Intellectual Property, Telecommunications, Energy, Immigration, Consumer Law, Foreign Investment, Real Estate and Alternative Dispute Resolution. Prior to joining PACHECO COTO, he was a Partner in Aczalaw, a Central American firm where he advised clients from North and South America, Europe and Asia on the setup and operations of their businesses in the region. Mr. Bruce is a certified Arbitrator and Mediator, and has consulted for the United Nations, international non-government agencies, the Costa Rican Bar Association and several universities.
- Doing Business in Central America, at the ‘‘Investimentos na América Latina: Oportunidades e Ambiente Legal’’ organized by the Aliança de Advocacia Empresarial in Sao Paulo Brazil, November 8th – 9th, 2012.
- Doing Business in Costa Rica, at the Warwick Legal Network Autumn Conference in Paris, France, October 13th – 15th, 2011.
- Doing Business in Central America, at the Legal Network International (LNI) Fall Conference in Paris, France, October, 2009.
- Practice of Law in Costa Rica. Organized by the Bar Association of Orange County, California, USA. Quepos, Costa Rica. May 24, 2009.
- Legal aspects of Leasing in Costa Rica. Organized by KPMG Peat Marwick. San José, Costa Rica. July 14th and 15th 1998.
- Costa Rican Bar Association
- International Bar Association
Boards of directors:
- Alternate Dispute Resolution Center of the Costa Rican Bar (2013 - )
- Listed by IFLR 1000 in association with Petroleum Economist Magazine as Leading Lawyer in Energy and Infrastructure (2013).
- Listed by Legal 500 as Recommended Lawyer in Corporate Law (2013).
- Listed by Legal 500 as Recommended Lawyer in Intellectual Property (2012).
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Costa Rican Bar´s Arbitration and Mediation Center (2013 - )
- Representative of the Costa Rican Chamber of Exporters before the Costa Rican National Council of Competitiveness. (2011 – 2012).
- Member of the Costa Rican Bar’s Alternate Dispute Resolution Committee. (2011 - )
- Consultant in Alternative Dispute Resolution to the Principal Advisor of the United
- Nation’s Latin-American Institute for the Prevention of Crime and the treatment of criminals (1998).
- Consultant in Alternative Dispute Resolution to the General Secretary of the Interamerican Alternative Conflict Resolution Professionals Association (AIPRAC). (1998).
- Universidad Escuela Libre de Derecho. Member on the Alternative Dispute Resolution Commission. (1998).
- Member in the Law Student Commission that advised Congress in the drafting of the Notary Code of Costa Rica.
- IV International Commercial Arbitration Congress, San José, Costa Rica (2013).
- Domestic and International Arbitration, Costa Rican Bar Association and University of Valencia, Spain (2012).
- II International Commercial Arbitration Congress, San José, Costa Rica (2012).
- Costa Rican Immigration Law. Costa Rican Bar Association (2011).
- Theory and Practice of International Commercial Arbitration. Costa Rican Chamber of Commerce (2011).
- Insurance Law. Costa Rican Bar Association2011).
- Awarded the Costa Rican Bar Association Scholarship for the Modern Economic Contracts Course in the Judges’ Preparation Program of the Judicial School of Costa Rica. (2006 – 2007).
Practice AreasReal Estate and Hospitality
Corporate Law / M&A
- Admitted to the Bar of the Republic of Costa Rican, 1997
- Masters Degree in Corporate Law (LLM), Universidad Latinoamericana de Ciencia y Tecnología (2002)
- Licentiate in Law (JD equivalent) Cum Laude, Universidad Escuela Libre de Derecho (1997)
Related News & Publications
- “Electronic Commerce and Consumer Rights”, Judicial Sciences Magazine, N° 98, September 2002
- “Thoughts on time-share contracts” Judicial Sciences Magazine, N° 98, May 2002